Tuesday, March 22, 2011

weekly summary: Mar 14-Mar 20

03-14-2011
Mon-PM: 5 miles- Chuckwalla Mesa, '400
Just taking it easy. Without actual days off these kinda become recovery runs... whatever the hell that is.

03-15-2011
Tue-AM: 8 miles- Chuckwalla Mesa/jeep roads/Silver Spring Gulch, 1000'
Early morning tempo run.. felt great!
Tue-PM: 3 miles- neighborhood streets/Chuckwalla Mesa, 200'
Just an easy evening run... felt good.

03-16-2011
Wed-AM: 5 miles- Mingus Union High track, 0'
This was interesting, I've never set foot on an actual track for running purposes. This was my first of several speed workouts. Mike was kind enough to invite me, and basically show me the ropes as it pertains to speed training. I did a 1 mile warm up followed by 6 x 800 meters @ 2:47, 2:53, 3:00, 3:02, 3:00, 3:00, followed by a 1 mile cool down. This was me trying to figure it out. I will refine/dial this process and get faster over the next month. I knew going into this kind of training that i would be engaging muscles (fast twitch) that i never really use, and my body would be going faster than i ever really go on a typical trail run. So i assumed this would bring with it some soreness, and possibly a strained/stressed muscle here or there. This kind of training will be necessary to put me in the best possible position to compete at the Cave Creek 10k trail run on Saturday April 23rd.

03-17-2011
Thu-AM: 8 miles- Chuckwalla Mesa/jeep roads/Silver Spring Gulch 1000'
As expected a bit sore this morning from the speed training yesterday. But it turned out to be quite a pleasant morning run.
Thu-PM: 7 miles- Bell Trail, 600'
Nice evening run after work with Gordon. This is a beautiful trail that takes you into a cool red rock canyon. I wore my NB minimus trail running shoes on this and was surprised at how well they performed... great grip on the upper canyon rocks.. and most importantly no blisters as i chose not to wear socks.

Gordon and I enjoying a moment on the red rocks down in the canyon on Bell Trail.


03-18-2011
Fri-PM: 8 miles- Chuckwalla Mesa/jeep roads/Silver Spring Gulch, 1000'
Another beautiful early morning on my typical trail. My body is really liking these early morning outings.

03-19-2011
Sat-AM: 10.4 miles- Black Canyon Trail (to the saddle) 2300'
Nice morning up Black Canyon. It was very hazy, but otherwise beautiful as always! This is really just pure mountain running bliss!

03-20-2011
Sun-AM: 6 miles- Chuckwalla Mesa/jeep roads, 800'
Definitely dealing with a calf strain from a combination of the speed work on Wednesday, and going faster than usual on the Black Canyon run yesterday. I thought if i skipped my Saturday PM run, and did some icing and a gentle massage on my left calf that i would be fine on this run... but it was not to be. I have to be very patient with incorporating this speed training into my routine as my body is not quite adapted, i hope this gets better SOON!

Totals

-Miles: 60.4

-Vertical: 7,700'
------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, I knew going into this week that the speed training might be something that could possibly keep my mileage down, and it was. I just need to be patient while my body acclimates to incorporating speed. Not a bad week, just really hope this calf strain works itself out so i don't fall further behind on mileage/vertical in the coming weeks. Although i suppose its a fair trade to sacrifice a specific mileage goal, with training myself to go really fast when i need to... such as a trail 10k next month!

No comments:

Post a Comment